When you have a small space, you want to make it as feel and cozy as possible. However, a small area is often prone to becoming cluttered. Luckily, there are several strategies that you can employ to make your room look elegant and clean. This brief overview looks some of the most effective ways to make your small space look less claustrophobic.
The 7 Ways to Make a Small Space Seem Less Claustrophobic
· Use simple window coverings- Long curtains give a dramatic look and can make your room feel cozy and soft. However, if the curtains pull to the ground too much especially next to your furniture they may make your room appear cluttered. Also, ensure you do not use too many rugs in one room as they can give the feeling of confusion. Ensure you use simple textile to make the room feel wide open.
· Use furniture that pulls double-duty and de-clutter-You want to make your space feel airier hence you will need to use less furniture. The most important step is to get rid of all waste or products that you no longer use from your house. If it is old furniture that you no longer use, sell it or donate it to a charity. Proceed to make the furniture that you are left with serve more functions. A good example is using an upholstered ottoman doubles as coffee tables or even extra seating space.
· Do not buy oversized pieces of art- Oversize art is beautiful, but it may make your room look cluttered. Though big art makes a dynamic look, they can feel imposing on a small room. If your wall collages are too large, they can make your room appear busy. A moderately sized art will compliment your perfectly.
· Rearrange furniture- Furniture arrangement plays a significant role in de-cluttering a room. Arrange furniture according to size by placing the small furniture at the front and the large furniture at the back. Bulky furniture should not be placed in a room’s entrance. The heaviest furniture should be placed farthest from the door next to the wall. You don’t want to feel like the furniture in all over your face when you walk into a room. Therefore, you should try balancing space.
· Use paint to disguise or unify- You can camouflage your furniture and take away its visual weight by just painting your wall the same color your furniture is. A camouflaged furniture does not grab attention quickly as it does not feel imposing or heavy making your room appear spacious. You can also use paint to hide large things or disguise unwanted things in your room. Things such as fans give visual clutter, and you can easily conceal them with paint.
· Keep surfaces clear and free of unnecessary clutter- While people like to display all their favorite items or furniture on surfaces it may make your home appear cluttered. Keeping your surfaces clear and clutter-free can have a significant impact on the airiness of your room. Try clearing all surfaces and remember some surfaces look better while empty.
· Use Mirrors- Mirrors spread light in a small room. Mirrors also make your space feel bigger than its actual size. They also make your walls feel less stable.
Make the informed decision of de-cluttering your room and make it feel cozy and elegant.